Scallion Pancake Dogs
May 22, 2015
It’s definitely hot dog season out there. I went to a baseball game this week with my sisters and we each had 4 hot dogs that night! I am not sure how that really happened, but it happened! A few were at the actual game, and then when we got home we wanted more. Thankfully I had a few flavors of these new Ball Park Park’s Finest hot dogs on hand. We all especially loved the Jalapeno Cheddar flavor. It will be great to have a few packs of them around for any Memorial Day grilling needs.
Ball Park wanted to work with me on a few recipes and I of course jumped at the chance because I love these hot dogs. I wanted to do something unique with them though, because you guys know that’s how I roll. I came up with this fun new twist on a classic pig in a blanket that actually uses a Chinese scallion pancake as the bread! I served it with a mayo, mustard, soy sauce, and sriracha dipping sauce and it was pretttttty amazing.
First you make the dough and let it rest a half hour or so. The dough is just hot water and flour!
Roll out your dough and brush it with sesame oil.
Then sprinkle on a ton of scallions and roll it up!
The goal here is to layer your dough with oil and scallions to give your pancake that crispy flake texture you are used to.
Fold the rolls on top of each other and let them rest another 15 minutes.
Then pop the dog in there and roll it up!
Yup, these are coming along well. Put a little water in between the dough where you seal it up to help it stick.
Start frying them seam side down just for that added insurance that they stay together.
These are so very very good. Crispy and flakey bread and juicy well seasoned hot dogs.
The dip is mayo, mustard, sriracha, and soy sauce.
You could cut these up and serve them at a cocktail party, or do what I did and just eat 3 of them while sitting alone in your kitchen.
And guess what?? You could totally grill these instead of frying them! Just brush plenty of oil onto the bread before putting them onto a medium heat. Pay attention to prevent burning, but the char from the grill will add a great depth of flavor.
They also have a fun contest where you can tweet or instagram your grilling humblebrags(kinda like mine below) and win some really cool prizes, you can check it out here!
Scallion Pancake Dogs
- 1 Package Ball Park Park's Finest Signature Seasoned Hot Dogs
- 1 Cup Hot Water
- 2.5 Cups Flour (plus more for dusting)
- 2 Tablespoons Sesame Oil
- 1 Bunch Scallions
- 2 Tablespoons Mayo
- 1 Tablespoon Mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Sriracha
- 1/2 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
- Mix the 4 sauce ingredients to form the dipping sauce. Set aside in the fridge.
- Mix the hot water and flour and knead for about 10 minutes until elastic and smooth. Add more flour if needed (if it seems wet or sticky)
- Allow the dough to rest 30 minutes to an hour.
- Roll out the dough very thin. Brush with the sesame oil. Top with the scallions. Roll this dough up into a log so that the oil and scallions are spiraled into the dough.
- Chop off the ends of the log that are a little thinner and don't have as much dough or filling. Chop the log into 7 equal segments. Gently flatten each segment and then roll it on top of itself. Allow to rest about 15 minutes.
- Finally roll out each segment into a circle that it just thinner in diameter than the length of a hot dog. Place the dog in the middle and roll the dough around it. Add a few drops of water to the dough with your finger to help it seal.
- If frying - put about a half inch of oil in your pan. Bring to 350. Cook the hot dogs on all sides until browned, flipping as needed.
- If grilling - brush the dogs with oil liberally and grill at medium until browned and crispy on all sides.