Meat Pie Burger
January 23, 2017
Pie rounds. I just used store bought pie dough and cut these out with a plastic cup. These are also doubled up to make them a little thicker. I added some of the pie scraps to the top bun to make it look pretty. Cook the onions way down. After adding the worcestershire and honey its lookin real jammy. Cook the burger and add some cheese. Yum. Put the burger on the bottom bun with a little mayo, then top with the onion jam. So good! Tastes like a meat pie! Having the flaky pie crust for a burger bun was something I had never done before and it was a really cool new texture I am not used to with burgers. The thyme and worcestershire added that meat pie flavor to the onions, and the honey helped with the savory and sweet balance.
Meat Pie Burger
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 large Onion sliced
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire
- 1 teaspoon Honey
- raw pie crust homemade or store bought
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 3 slices Cheddar Cheese
- Place the butter into a frying pan with the onion and season with salt and pepper. Cook on medium high heat to brown and cook, adjusting the heat as needed to avoid burning. Cook about 40 minutes until deep brown.
- Add the thyme, mustard, worcestershire, and honey and cook another 2 minutes
- Meanwhile, cut rounds from the pie crust. You want it to be thicker than normal pie crust, about 1/4 inch, so double up the dough if needed. Bake at 450 for 15 minutes to brown and cook through.
- Form 3 burger patties the same size as the pie dough rounds. Season with salt and pepper. Cook in a hot frying pan with some oil to medium, melting the cheese on top after you flip.
- Build the burger with a pie crust first, then a little mayo, then the burger, then the onion jam, then the top crust. Serve.