January 21, 2021
I streamed this recipe last week and you can watch the video below! The burger actually ended up falling apart in the video, but I recreated it with a few tweaks and it was much more stable. I let the sauce dry slightly on the pasta, allowed the burger to cool a bit before slicing, and most importantly, I made sure the burger patties were super thin, flat, and a bit wider than the buns. If the patties plump up in the center and end up being too small for the bread, that is when it will really be unstable.
This is the burger of my dreams. I love lasagna and garlic bread and this burger gave me all of that in a burger format. So good! And just to prove that it didn't fall apart, here is the cross section!
- 1 ciabatta bun
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- Black Pepper
- 14 oz canned crushed tomatoes
- salt, red pepper flakes, oregano
- 1/4 pound Ground Beef
- 1/2 a hot Italian sausage
- 1 lasagna noodle boiled and drained
- 3 slices Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 tablespons Ricotta Cheese
- These directions are for a single burger, but the sauce is enough to make at least 5
- Cut the bun in half and spread the butter on each side. Top with the garlic powder and seasoning. Broil on high for a few minutes until golden.
- Make the simple sauce by cooking the garlic in the oil on low heat. Add in some pepper. Cook about 3 minutes but don't let it brown. Add in the tomatoes and stir to combine. Add in the salt, crushed peppers, and oregano. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Make the burger patties the same size and shape as the buns and as thin as you can possibly make them. 2 burger patties and one sausage patty. This is a very important step cause if the burgers are too small or uneven, the burger will have a better chance of falling apart.
- Cut the lasagna into 3 pieces and add it to the sauce.
- Cook the burgers on high heat to brown on both sides. Top each with a cheese slice.
- Start with the bottom bun and add on the first burger. Top with the lasagna, and then a tablespoon of ricotta. Next add the sausage patty, then the lasagna and ricotta. Finally top with the last burger and noodle and ricotta. Top with the top bun. Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving or it will all fall apart.