Ham and Mushroom Ramen Bowls
November 14, 2019
The busiest time of the year has just begun, and it is only going to get more and more crazy. Georgina and I have been traveling almost every week for work, I have a major deadline coming in hot, and the holidays are looming just ahead.
We love being busy, but it is important to have some nice comforting meals that are easy to make in the back of your mind for after a long day when you need a restorative dinner. Our favorite comfort food is ramen, and we love going out to get it, but most places are cramped, have long lines, and sometimes don’t have the relaxing feel we are looking for. That’s when I turn to quick and easy shortcut ramen recipes like this one.
I love using Smithfield® Anytime Favorites® ham in this ramen, because not only is it Georgina’s favorite protein, it is also extremely easy to prepare for this dish. Just pop it into a frying pan for a few minutes and slide it right into your bowl! You can find Smithfield Anytime Favorites in the packaged meats section of your grocery store.
The broth for this is chicken stock spiked with a little soy, vinegar, sesame, and chili paste. I also added kale to give it a nutritional boost. Ramen noodles from the store, and the Smithfield Anytime Favorites ham steak. I used Hickory Smoked, but I love how it comes in many options for cuts and flavors so I can really customize the recipes to my personal tastes! I roasted some mushrooms with salt and olive oil, another simple topping for the soup. Ham in the pan browning up, ready for the soup. Drop the noodles right into the broth after everything else is ready, they only need a few minutes to cook. Pop in a soft boiled egg and you have a true bowl of comfort! Our favorite easy dinner on these cold autumn nights! The ham goes so well in the ramen style soup, it adds that nice savory hit to the broth, and we all know ham and eggs pair perfectly together. For more product information and recipe inspiration, visit www.Smithfield.com.
Ham and Mushroom Ramen Bowls
- 6 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 2 tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoons sambal chili paste to taste
- 3 kale stalks stems removed and leaves ripped up
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms or any mushroom you like
- 1 Smithfield Anytime Favorites Hickory Smoked Ham Steak
- 8 ounces Ramen Noodles
- 1 soft boiled egg
- Preheat oven to 500.
- In a medium sauce pan, mix the stock, sesame oil, vinegar, soy, sambal, and kale. Bring to a simmer.
- Toss the mushrooms with a little olive oil and salt and place on a baking sheet. Bake for about 10-15 minutes until browned and cooked through.
- Add a little oil to a non-stick pan over medium high heat. Cut the ham steak into 8 or 9 slices and add them to the pan. Cook to heat through and brown on both sides, about 6 minutes.
- Drop the ramen noodles into the simmering broth and cook for 3-5 minutes depending on the package instructions.
- Build the bowls by first adding broth and noodles, then some mushrooms, then the ham, and finally a half of the egg. Serve.