A bacon, jalapeno, cream cheese, and cheddar-jack mixture is stuffed and rolled into spring roll wrappers and tossed on the grill.
- 5 Jalapenos
- 5 strips Bacon
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar jack
- 1 teaspoon Chopped Fresh Oregano
- 6-8 Spring Roll Wrappers
- 1 tablespoon sambol chile paste
- 2 tablespoons Honey
- 1 teaspoon Soy Sauce
- Broil the jalapenos on all sides to char the skin. Cover and set aside.
- Cook the bacon to crisp. Remove from pan and reserve the bacon fat.
- Put the cream cheese in a bowl with the cheddar jack and the herbs.
- Peel the jalapenos and remove the seeds. Chop small and add to a bowl. Chop the bacon very small and add to the bowl as well. Add a pinch of salt and mix really well to combine everything.
- Make the spring rolls, You will have anywhere from 6 to 8 depending on how big you want them, but any less then 6 and you have made them too big. It is important to keep them on the smaller side do they don't explode on the grill. I used a small smear of the cream cheese mixture to also help seal the rolls.
- Once they are done and on a plate or pan, pour the cooled bacon grease on them and toss to coat.
- Preheat grill and grill them on high heat to brown on all sides. Once the insides get too hot they will start exploding so make sure to grill them hot and fast.
- Meanwhile, mix the sauce ingredients.
- Serve the rolls with the sauce.
I love making spring rolls because they are much lighter and smaller than egg rolls. Grilling them is a great way to serve a fun and different appetizer for your backyard get together. I have made lots of different creative fillings for them over the years. Lately I have been craving jalapeno poppers, and more specifically, the combo of cream cheese, jalapeno, and bacon. Poppers are great but they kind of flatten out on the grill and the top bacon part doesn’t usually cook as well as the bottom part, so I thought this would be a cool way of getting poppers on the grill.
Broil the jalapenos to brown the skin.
Mix the cream cheese with a cheddar-jack blend, the roasted jalapenos, cooked bacon, and fresh oregano.
Then just roll them up!
Coat them in the bacon grease to prevent them from sticking to the grill.
Grill them on high heat so they are able to brown on the outside before they explode too much. Take them off the grill when you see the first signs of explosion.
I love these! I ate way too many of them.
The crispy spring roll wrapper is perfect for the creamy insides.
The jalapeno is pretty mild since you take all the seeds out.
And the hint of bacon is just enough. The fresh oregano adds a little bit of that summer floral flavor.