A bowl of rice noodles, cucumber, mint, lettuce, and pickled carrots, topped with falafel and a spicy yogurt sauce.
- 2 cups soaked chickpeas
- 1/2 cup Chopped Mint
- 1/4 cup Chopped Parsley
- 1 Chopped Jalapeno
- 5 Scallions chopped
- 1 teaspoon Coriander
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 clove Garlic chopped
- 1 tablespoon Fish Sauce
- 1 cup Yogurt
- 1 Lime
- 1/2 clove Garlic grated
- 2 tablespoons Fish Sauce
- 1/4 cup Sriracha
- cooked rice noodles
- pickled carrots
- chopped cucumber
- Shredded Lettuce
- Chopped Mint
- Add the falafel ingredients to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until everything is crumbled to a uniformly small size. Pour into a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Form pucks of falafel with your hands and press firmly to hold their shape, but not too hard to make dense falafel. Add a half inch of oil to a pan and bring to about 375. Pan fry the falafel until browned on both sides, flipping half way through cooking.
- Mix the sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Build the bowls with the rice noodles, lettuce, cucumber, and carrots.
- Top with falafel, mint, and sauce. Serve.
This mash-up of two of my favorite lunches came about as most of my mash-ups do, when I was about to eat and couldn’t decide which one to get. There are a lot of similarities between a falafel plate and bun vermicelli, so it wasn’t all that hard to bring the two together. I started with the normal things you might find in bun, like the rice noodles, carrots, lettuce, mint, and cucumber, and topped it with falafel instead of the usual grilled meat. To infuse some of the bun flavor into the falafel itself, I added fish sauce and mint, and I also added fish sauce and sriracha to the yogurt sauce.
yogurt, lime, garlic, fish sauce, sriracha.
Be gentle with the falafel as you fry them or they will fall apart! If you are worried, some recipes add a little baking powder or even flour to help them stick together.
I could eat a lunch like this every day!
The rice noodles were a great replacement for rice or taboli that might be on a plate like this, and the cucumber, carrots, and lettuce replace the salad.
The sauce packed so much flavor and brought everything together!