Spicy homemade falafel in a taco boat with cucumber tomato salad, shredded lettuce, feta, and tzatziki.
- 1 cup Dried Chickpeas
- 1/2 cup Dried Black Beans
- 3 Jalapenos seeds removed and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped pasley
- 1/4 cup Chopped Scallion
- 1 tablespoon old el paso seasoning
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 cup Minced Cucumber
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 clove Garlic grated on a microplane
- Salt and Pepper
- 8 Old El Paso large soft taco boats
- 1/2 head Iceburg Lettuce finely shredded
- 2 large Tomatoes
- 1 English Cucumber
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 cup Crumbled Feta
- Place the chickpeas and black beans in a bowl and cover with water. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest overnight.
- Strain and rinse the beans. Place in a food processor with the jalapeno, parsley, scallion, taco seasoning, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Pulse until the pieces are very small and when you grab some in your hand you can form a ball out of it.
- Pour into a bowl and mix evenly. Form puck shaped falafel with your hands.
- Preheat 1/2 inch of oil in a frying pan. Gently place the falafel in the pan in batches. Fry the falafel flipping once to brown evenly. Remove onto a paper towel or rack to cool.
- Mix the tzatziki ingredients and place in the fridge to rest.
- Mix the tomato, cucumber, parsley, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- Fill the taco boats first with lettuce, then the tomato mixture, then the cheese, then falafel, then top with the tzatziki. Serve.
Recipe sponsored by Old El Paso
I have been on a falafel making kick recently and what is great about making them on your own is you can really start to customize the flavors inside the falafel. I wanted to put some falafel into a taco, so it was a no brainer to add some black beans, jalapenos and taco seasoning to the mix.
After I had the flavor profile of the falafel down, I filled the taco with normal stuff you might find in a falafel sandwich, like feta, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and tzatziki! These taco boats were so good and just what I was craving for a tasty healthy lunch!
Blend up the veggies and beans.
Pulse to end up wits a crumbly texture.
Shallow fry the falafel on both sides to brown.
Put the falafel into the taco boats with a tomato cucumber salad, some lettuce, feta and tzatziki.
The salad is just tomato, cucumber and parsley.
The tzatziki is yogurt, cucumber, parsley, garlic, and lime.