June 6, 2017
People question the idea of putting coffee into pasta more often than any other crazy recipe ideas I have. I put marshmallow on a burger and no one flinched, but for some reason, coffee in pasta is weird to everyone.
Well, today I am here to say stop questioning this amazing flavor combination and just go with it. This version of carbonara should almost be called breakfast pasta because it combines bacon, eggs, and coffee into each delicious bite. The eggs form that luscious creamy sauce you all know from carbonara and the addition of coffee adds a unique bitterness to the dish. Some asparagus adds a much-needed freshness and always pair great with eggs.
I used thick cut bacon, Italian roast coffee, and spaghetti all from the Signature line of products available locally here in Boston exclusively at Star Market stores. The Signature line includes more than 4,000 items from coffee to cereal and even prepared foods.
Not many ingredients needed to make this simple and amazing dish. Heat some milk and add the coffee, then strain out the grounds. This is best done with a French press or cheese cloth. Cook the pasta about 8 minutes until al dente. Meanwhile, cook the bacon until crispy and add the asparagus. Add the super strong coffee flavored milk to the eggs. Adding milk to carbonara can be a sin to Italians, but I needed a little to carry the coffee flavor into the dish. Add the pasta to the bacon and asparagus and cook another 2 minutes. Then vigorously stir the hot pasta into the room temperature egg and coffee mixture. There is also Parmesan cheese in there. Lots of it. The eggs and cheese will form the sauce for the pasta. Then try really hard to not just eat this entire bowl yourself. This pasta has such a great creamy almost latte-esque flavor. I used red pepper flakes instead of the cracked black pepper traditional in carbonara because the heat and the flavorful chilies actually pair really well with coffee. The creamy slightly bitter pasta is a perfect match for the salty bacon and cheese, and the asparagus gives everything that nice spring freshnessYou guys know I need to get all sorts of different ingredients for my sometimes exotic recipes, which is why I love Star Market for its one stop shopping appeal. This is the first recipe of a year-long partnership with Star Market, and I am excited to showcase more of their products! It’s brands like this that allow The Food in my Beard to exist, so please show your support to them!
Signature products are exclusive to the Albertsons Companies family of stores, and provide customers quality they can trust at an exceptional value. If you don’t have Star Market in your area, you can check this page to find where you can shop for Signature products in your area.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Albertsons Companies.
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup Signature Select Italian Roast Ground Coffee
- 5 slices Signature Farms Thick Cut Hickory Smoked Bacon cut into thin strips
- 1/2 pound Signature Kitchens Spaghetti
- 1 bunch Asparagus sliced in half the long way, woody stems removed
- 1 Egg
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1/2 cup grated parmesean cheese
- Heat the milk to almost boiling in a pot on the stove or in the microwave. Pour into a bowl and stir in the coffee. Allow to steep for 10 minutes, and strain through a cheesecloth or a coffee filter. You could also do this in a french press.
- Bring water to a boil for the pasta. Drop the pasta into the water.
- Add the bacon to a frying pan and cook until starting to crisp. Add the asparagus and cook 3 minutes.
- Add the pasta to the pan when it is just al dente. Cook 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs, yolks, parm, and coffee milk mixture in a large bowl.
- Pour the contents of the pan into the bowl with the egg mixture. Stir well as the heat from the pasta turns the eggs and cheese into a luscious sauce for the pasta.
- Serve with additional cheese and red pepper flakes.