Chicken Sausage Queso
December 18, 2017
Everyone loves a good queso dip and it's helpful to have an easy recipe in your pocket this time of year. This creamy sausage queso dip comes together quick and is a real crowd pleasing appetizer. I like it because you can make it ahead of time, pour it into your cast iron skillet or baking dish, and throw it into the oven just before your guests arrive.
I used Open Nature™ and O Organics® products in this recipe, which are available in Boston exclusively at my local Star Market. I go to the one right across from Fenway Park. It’s only a mile from where I live now, but I used to live a block away. I love visiting my old neighborhood and seeing how things have changed and saying hi to the cashiers I used to see every day. (yes I go to the store a lot.)
This was my first time trying this variety of Open Nature sausage and as you can see by the cross section, there is so much flavor packed in there. They were so good that I cooked a little extra to snack on while I made the dip. Cook the sausage and some onion, then add evaporated milk. Next goes the cheese! So good! The burner is off when you add the cheese but it mostly melts just from the residual heat. The rest will be taken care of in the oven. Pour it into the baking dish or cast iron skillet and chill for later or bake right away. Serve with lots of pita chips! I like to garnish it with jalapenos, more sausage, salsa, and even some cilantro, but the possibilities are endless! Sour cream, avocado, or pickled onion would be great as well. If you pull this out of the oven as your first guests are arriving, it won’t last long! If you don’t live near a Star Market, you can also find Open Nature and O Organics products at all Albertsons Companies family of stores, including Albertsons, ACME Markets, Jewel-Osco, Vons, Pavilions, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Shaw’s, United Express, United and Carrs/Safeway.
Chicken Sausage Queso
- 2 Open Nature Roasted Red Pepper and Garlic Sausages diced
- 1 small Onion
- 1 12oz can Evaporated Milk
- 1 tablespoon Corn Starch
- 6 ounces O Organics Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese
- 6 Ounces O Organics Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Salsa, Jalapeno, and Cilantro for garnish
- Open Nature Pita Chips for serving
- Cook the onion and sausage in a nonstick frying pan for about 10 minutes until lightly browned. Remove a few spoonfuls of the sausage and reserve to use as a garnish.
- Meanwhile, mix the cornstarch with the milk in a bowl. Mix until all the starch is dissolved.
- Pour the milk mixture into the sausage mixture and bring to a simmer. When it comes to a simmer you will notice it thicken up.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheeses. They will mostly melt into the sauce.
- Pour the mixture into a small baking dish or cast iron skillet.
- Cover and chill or cook immediately. If cooking right away, bake at 350 for 10 minutes. If cooking from cold, bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Garnish with the reserved sausage, the salsa, jalapenos, and cilantro. Serve with pita chips.