I was inspired by the chicken shell taco at Taco Bell to make my own version. This one has chicken parm as the shell and is filled with meatballs and pasta.
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- 4 Eggs
- 2 cups Flour
- 2 cup Breadcrumbs
- 1 cup Grated Parm
- 2 cups prepared spaghetti and tomato sauce
- 4 meatballs, also in the tomato sauce
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup Chopped Basil
- Cut the chicken breast in half the flat way so you have two thinner pieces of chicken. Place a piece of wax paper on the counter and place a piece of the chicken onto it. Top with more wax paper. Pound the chicken either with a kitchen mallet or really any blunt object. Be gentle and try and make it as round and thin as possible. The thinner the better. After you are done, you can cut some of the edges off to make it more round.
- Put the flour and eggs into 2 seperate shallow bowls and season with salt and pepper. In a third bowl, mix the breadcrumbs with the cheese.
- Dip the chicken into the flour to evenly coat. Shake off the excess. Next dip it into the egg and allow the excess to fall off. Finally coat with the breadcrumbs and make sure to fully cover and coat.
- Put about an inch of oil in a frying pan and bring to 375. Fry the chicken about 3 minutes on each side to brown and cook through. Remove from oil onto a rack or plate lined with paper towels and season with salt.
- Cut the meatballs into quarters and add to the top of one of the chicken rounds. Next add the pasta, then the cheese, then the basil. Form into a taco shape and wrap with parchment paper to hold the shape.
Yes, I obviously tried the Naked Chicken Chalupa. I would say within the first week or so. I mean come on. It looks like something I would have come up with here on TFimB. I really liked it, but I wanted to make my own version. I came up with the idea of using chicken parm as the shell and filling it with meatballs, pasta, cheese and basil and got to work. In the end, this is really just a handheld verion of the classic dish. I was laughing as I was eating it thinking that it is almost as if I made a plate of chicken parm and then decided to pick it up and eat it with my hands. It was a really fun new way to eat one of my favorite foods.
Pound it out with whatever blunt object you have around. I used my potato ricer. Make an effort to make it round if you can, and you can trim it up later.
Bread the chicken and fry it. Yum.
pasta and meatballs. You think I made enough?
Build the tacos with meatballs first, then pasta, then cheese and basil.
Wrap it in parchment to help it hold the shape.
These are really fun to eat. A handheld chicken parm!
It’s got all the flavors you know and love from the classic dish just served in a new way.
Check the video for the whole process!