Breakfast Fried Rice
January 24, 2019
Mine started with hash browns cooking in the same pan I just cooked bacon and sausage. Then add peppers and celery. All the meats! I personally love kale in my fried rice and rarely make it without so I threw some kale in there too. The key to any decent fried rice is using rice you cooked the day before that has had time to dry out. Sauces in the mix. I also made a version of this with scrambled eggs that was equally as good but I give the slight edge to a runny fried egg any day. This was so good. The potatoes visually disappear into the dish but when you taste them the flavors of breakfast really come out. There are so many awesome breakfast things in here that each bite is a little different and as you eat you uncover more surprises!
Breakfast Fried Rice
- 1 medium yukon gold potato peeled and grated and dried on a paper towel
- 5 breakfast sausages
- 5 slices Bacon
- 1 rib Celery diced
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper diced
- 1 Jalapeno diced and seeds removed
- 5 slices deli ham (you could also use chunks of ham instead)
- 2 leaves Kale ribs removed and leaves chopped
- 3 cups cooked long grain rice cooled in the fridge overnight
- 2 teaspoons Sesame Oil
- 2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- 3 Scallions chopped
- 3 or 4 Eggs
- Allow the potatoes to really dry out on the towel before using. You can remove extra moisture from them by folding up the towel and squeezing it.
- Cook the sausages and bacon in a large frying pan until fully cooked. Remove from pan and allow to cool. Chop the sausages and bacon into bite size pieces. Remove excess oil from the pan but keep some oil in there.
- Cook the potato shreds to brown, about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally and breaking them apart if they get stuck together.
- Add in the celery and peppers and cook 2 minutes.
- Add in the ham and kale and add the rest of the meats back to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the rice to the pan and cook for 5 minutes stirring often. Add the soy, sesame, and vinegar and cook a few more minutes. Stir well to combine. Taste and add more of the sauces if needed.
- In another pan, fry the eggs over easy. Split the rice into 3 or 4 bowls and top with the eggs. Serve with the scallions.