Beet and Lamb Ravioli
February 5, 2016
Eggs, flour, and grated beets. The dough comes out a beautiful dark pink color. Ricotta, parm, lamb, mint, and marjoram makes the filling. Making the ravs. Seal them up good and cut them into the ravioli shape. Meanwhile, make the sauce. I used the beet greens and stems in the sauce. Beet stems and onions in the pan. Garlic next. Then tomatoes and cream. Simmer awhile and add in the beet greens towards the end. Boil up the ravioli and toss it right in the sauce when it is ready.
A beautiful dish that I think anyone would be impressed by!
The creamy filling goes great with the hearty pasta. It is really fun to be able to use all parts of the beets in this recipe.
The greens help lighten the sauce a little and give the dish an additional texture.
The pink and red colors are perfect for a Valentines meal.
Watch me make this dish on Mass Appeal below!
Beet and Lamb Ravioli
- 1 Beet
- 4 Eggs
- 3 Cups Flour
- 12 Ounces Ground American Lamb
- 1.5 Cups Ricotta
- 1 Cup Grated Parm
- 1 Tablespoon Chopped Mint
- 1 Tablespoon Chopped Marjoram
- Salt and Pepper
- 3 Beets (greens and stems only)
- 1/2 Onion
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Cup Cream
- 14 Ounces Canned Diced Tomato
Make the pasta
- Grate the beet with a microplane into a fine paste. Mix it in with the flour and eggs in a bowl or in the food processor. Mix well to combine and knead for 5 minutes until a nice thick dough is formed. Add more flour as needed. Allow to rest for 30 minutes in the fridge.
Make the Filling
- Cook the lamb until browned. Remove from heat and add in the rest of the ingredients. Stir well to combine.
Make the Ravioli
- Roll 1/3 of your pasta dough at the widest setting. Fold over and repeat 4 or 5 times until the dough is smooth. Roll the dough thinner moving the machine 2 notches thinner each time you roll it until you get to the 3rd thinnest setting.
- Place a tablespoon of filling on to the pasta sheet and repeat until the sheet is dotted with filling on one half of the sheet. Fold the other half of the sheet over onto the filling and gently seal the pasta on all sides of the filling. You want to make sure most of the air is removed from the pasta. Use a pasta cutter to cut the ravioli into a square and really seal in the filling. Place the finished pasta onto a sheet or towel with some flour. Repeat until you run out of filling or dough.
Make the Sauce
- Separate the beet greens from the stems. Chop up the greens. Slice the stems into small pieces. Dice the onion small. Cook the onion and beet stems in some oil for about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook 2 minutes. Add in the cream and tomatoes and cook 20 minutes until thickened and smooth.
Bring it Together
- Boil some water and cook your ravioli about 5 minutes until tender. Add directly to the sauce and stir to combine. Serve.