5-Spice Sweet Potatoes with Crispy Cabbage and Spicy Tempeh
September 5, 2013
Slowly brown the cabbage until it is nice and crispy. It takes about 45 minutes.
Chop up the tempeh.
Get the mix-ins ready for the sweet potatoes. Avocado is the secret to getting these nice and creamy without using actual cream. Roasted garlic also adds a much needed depth of flavor. Don't let the masher fool you, I actually had to food process this to get it nice and creamy. The tempeh is seared, and then tossed in the chile-garlic sauce. All the components combined. The flavor and texture combineations in this are fantastic. Crispy cabbage, creamy potatoes, and chewy tempeh make you forget that there is no meat. The earthy 5-spice matches well with the sweet potatoes and contrasts with the piquant tempeh.
5-Spice Sweet Potatoes with Crispy Cabbage and Spicy TempehFor: 4 Servings
- Potato Mixture
- 4 Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 2 Avocados
- 2 Tablespoons 5 Spice
- 1 Head Roasted Garlic
- 1 Head Purple Cabbage
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Package Tempeh
- 2 Tablespoons Thai Chile-Garlic Paste
- 1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Sriracha
- 2 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Honey
- For the potato - Peel the roasted potatoes, squeeze the roasted garlic out of the paper, mix it all together. Use a food processor to make it smooth.
- For the cabbage - Just a head of shredded purple cabbage sauteed in oil for about 45 minutes until nice and crispy
- For the Tempeh - cut it, sear it. Mix together the thai chile-garlic sauce, soy, sriracha, rice vinegar, and honey. Amounts listed are approximate so taste it as you go. Dump it into the pan with the seared tempeh and stir. Kill the heat.