I was going to do a different post today, but it got bumped cause it is Halloween and all. Here are come cute little candies Mandi and I made last night and brought into work this morning. We also have more at home to bring to a party at Amy's tonight! Monday I will have some food and pics from that party. A few notes about the treats seen below. First off, this is most likely the only time you will see a recipe on here from Aunt Sandy. I don't hate on her like the rest of the internet, but at the same time I don't watch her(except to laugh at the tablescapes) and wouldn't make any of her food. That being said, she had a really neat idea for chocolate covered pretzel spiders Mandi and I just couldn't pass up. At the complete other end of the spectrum, the ghost idea is from Heidi at 101cookbooks. I honestly feel really bad nabbing an idea from her ubernatural arsenal and then dumping corn syrup all over it, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do as the phrase goes. If you ever read this Heidi, please forgive me! Also is it cool that we are on a first name basis?
We just got a bunch of different chocolate to melt together. We don't have much experience in this area, but it tasted pretty good.
Getting some stuff ready.
We added some peanut butter to her recipe. We were going to do caramel, but couldn't find any and were too lazy to make it.
These are the bases for the marshmallow ghosts.
Aunt Sandy uses pretzel sticks, but these look cooler.
She drizzled extra chocolate on top to help the legs stay in place, then did the faces with frosting after the chocolate hardened a bit.
Gelatin and water to make Marshmallows for the ghosts. We used Alton Brown's recipe.
Bring the syrup and sugar to 250 degrees, or what they like to call "hard ball."
Then you slowly drizzle the syrup into the gelatin mixture. Remember, more detailed directions can be found here.
I did one layer, then fridged it for 15 minutes before adding another layer. The goal was to make them tall and ghostlike.
We had planned to make chocolate covered espresso beans into catepillars, but it was kinda hard to get them to stick together. We ended up just making a bunch of the beans and only 2 of the actual wormys.
We wanted to put eyes on all of these, but it was kinda hard.
I leave you this morning with 2 carved pumpkins sent to me last night by Rich and Jeremy.